Taking on graduate school can feel as difficult as climbing a mountain. Between choosing your program, filling out your applications, finding a mentor, getting through it once you get there, and coming out ready to further your career, it can easily feel like you’ll be buried in the landslide. However, with diligent prep and determination, you can go from an amazing and challenging graduate program to a lucrative and rewarding career. From the early planning phases to the day you have your advanced degree in hand, here’s all the best advice you need as an aspiring graduate student.
Asking questions and planning for grad school
- Is Now the Right Time for You to Go to Grad School?: Deciding to go to graduate school is an even bigger decision than deciding to go to college. Here's how to consider if now is the right time for you.
- How to Start Your Grad School Search With Confidence: Finding the right graduate program is a comprehensive process. Start on the right foot with these tips to help you search for schools and apply with confidence.
- A Non-Stressful Graduate School Application Timeline: Before getting overwhelmed by grad school applications, take a deep breath. These suggestions break the upcoming year into manageable, season-sized chunks.
- 10 Overlooked Questions to Ask About Graduate School: A graduate program may seem like a great fit on paper, but don't forget to ask these tough but often forgotten questions during your grad school search.
- Master's or PhD: Which One Should You Choose?: You know you want an advanced degree, but just how advanced? Keep reading to discover the key differences between master's and doctoral degrees.
- Online Grad Programs: 4 Questions to Ask Before Applying: Thinking about enrolling in an online graduate program? Before you start your applications, you need to ask yourself these four important questions.
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Committing to Graduate School: Grad school is a huge decision! Before you take that next big step, ask yourself these five questions to make sure you're ready to commit to it.
Finding the right program for you
- How to Find a Graduate Program That Fits You: Ready to make the big next step to grad school? There are many considerations to help determine which program best fits your needs. Here's where to start!
- Important Considerations to Help You Find the Right Graduate Program: Finding the right grad program will inform your future career opportunities and choices. This comprehensive advice can help you make this important decision.
- Choosing the Right Graduate Degree for Your Goals: Know you want to continue your studies postgrad but not sure what program is the right choice? Learn about the advantages of each type of graduate degree.
- How to Shortlist Your Prospective Graduate Programs: Have a long list of prospective graduate schools? Here's everything you should consider to cut it down and find the best program for you.
- How to Know If Law School Is Right for You: Do you want to be a lawyer? Or do you want to study law, not practice it? Going to law school is a big decision. Here's how to know if it's right for you.
- On-Campus, Online, or Hybrid: Which Grad School Format Is Right for You?: Starting grad school isn't as simple as just applying; you have to pick both the right program and the right class format. Learn about your options here.
Paying for your program
- Financial Aid for Grad School: What's Different This Time Around?: Financial aid isn't just for undergrads, but it's a little different for grad students. Here's what you should know about applying for aid in grad school.
- Paying Your Own Way: Financial Aid for Graduate School: Graduate programs can be expensive, but there are numerous ways you can reduce or even eliminate the cost of attendance. Learn all about them here.
- Expert Grad School Financial Aid Tips You Need to Know: Worried about paying for grad school? It may seem a hefty price, but there are ways to make it work. Here are tips for making smart financial decisions.
- How to Find Fellowships and Grants for Grad School: If you can secure them, fellowships and grants are the best way to fund a graduate education (after scholarships). Here's what to know about finding them.
- Tips You Should Know for Dealing With Grad School Debt: Grad school debt is all but inevitable. These expert tips will help you deal with the student loans left in the wake of that hard-earned graduate degree.
Submitting your applications
- The Ultimate Guide to Graduate School Applications: Applying to grad school is a huge step, and you want to prepare the best application possible for admission. Here's some advice on how to do just that!
- 4 Things to Keep Track of When Applying to Grad School: You've found the grad program you want to attend; now you just have to apply. Navigate the process efficiently by keeping track of these important factors.
- What You Need to Know About 5 Common Graduate Admission Exams: Knowing which entrance tests to take for your grad school goals is crucial so you don't waste valuable time. Here's some advice on which ones to take!
- Important Things to Know About Grad School References: From how to ask your references to what to do after they’re submitted, these are the steps to getting great letters of recommendation for grad school.
- How to Write Your Grad School Application Essay: The grad school application essay isn't like any other piece of writing. Craft your best essay for graduate admission with this helpful advice.
- 6 Quick Tips to Help You Ace Your Grad School Interview: Worried about your graduate admission interview? These six tips for before and during your interview will help you nail it, with more advice for after.
Boosting your chances and experience
- Campus Visits: Not Just a Useful Step for Undergrads!: Campus visits come to mind when you think about undergrad programs, but what about grad school? Here's why even grad students should consider a campus visit.
- 13 Things Admission Teams See in Great Grad School Applications: What are graduate admission officers looking for when reviewing applications? It's not all about grades. Here’s what they expect to see in a grad student.
- 7 Ways to Stand Out as a Graduate School Applicant: As you know from undergraduate applications, you have to stand out when applying to grad school. These tips can help you create something impressive.
- 7 Big Mistakes Graduate School Applicants Should Avoid: Some mistakes can send your grad school applications straight to the trash. Avoid these faux pas or you'll stand out to admissions for the wrong reasons!
- 4 Impressive Ways to Boost Your MBA Application: Concerned your current grad school application won't be enough to get you into that MBA program? Don't worry! We've got some improvement tips for you.
Surviving life as a graduate student
- Great Expectations: How Grad School Differs From Undergrad: Without a doubt, graduate school will be an entirely different experience from your undergraduate life, but how does it differ? Here's an inside look.
- Insider Advice on How to Be a Successful Graduate Student: Want to be a rock-star graduate student and feel confident in your career path? This grad school expert shares his top insider tips on student success.
- The Importance of Finding Balance as a Graduate Student: Grad school is no walk in the park. Here's some sage advice on finding a good work-life balance as a busy graduate student from someone who's been there.
- How to Succeed as a Part-Time Graduate Student: Grad studies are challenging for everyone. But for part-timers, it's a juggling act that often requires specific planning and skills. Here's what to know.
- 6 Self-Starter Tips to Excel in Your Online Grad School Classes: Taking a class online isn't like the coursework you're accustomed to, especially for grad school. Here are six ways to excel in your online classes.
- 4 Practical Time Management Tips for Grad Students: There's no magic way to learn time management, but you may learn something new from these tips to improve your skills courtesy of another busy grad student.
- 4 Quick Tips to Take Your Writing Skills to the Graduate Level: You'll be doing a lot of writing in graduate school, so you may need to step up your skills. Here are a few tips to turn "good" writing into "great" writing!
- How to Master the Art of Networking in Graduate School: Networking is more than just exchanging business cards. Master the art of networking with these five simple concepts, recommended by a graduate student.
- 6 Effective Ways to Deal With Graduate School Stress: Any graduate course of study is bound to cause some stress in a student's life. If you find yourself stressed out, try these techniques to find relief!
- A Master Mentor: How to Pick a Grad School Advisor: Few people are as important as your advisor in grad school. Finding someone fit for the role is crucial. Here's some advice for finding the right person.
- How to Improve Your Study Skills for Grad School: Grad school is tougher than undergrad, and some of your study skills just won't cut it. Here's how to strengthen your skills for graduate-level work.
Start building your potential graduate program list and find the right fit for you with our featured grad school lists.